Monday, April 13, 2009

I AIN’T PERFECT! - A short blast on literacy, or the semblance thereof.

I AIN’T PERFECT! - A short blast on literacy, or the semblance thereof.

I know none of us are perfect and only the few and most arrogant among us even thing he or she is perfect. I also know it’s harder then hell to proofread one’s own work. But for cryin’ out loud, people, how about giving it a shot!

If you’ve got something you believe is worth writing, then it’s worth taking the time to make it a rite to write it right – right? Don’t ramble; write it in an editable program like Word so you can see [most of] your errors and then cut & past it to your post, discussions, etc.; capitalize “i’ when you mean “I” and try to fix those little items with the wavy red or blue lines under them. Those lines are trying to tell you that your work has a misspelling or a grammatical error which might make it difficult at best to muddle through. (Yes, I like to end sentences with prepositions; I told you I’m not perfect.) At worst, a series of uncorrected errors can make you look like an illiterate fool. This is not intended, by the way, to be an indictment against or create a witch-hunt for illiterate fools. You are entitled to be one if you wish. Just don’t expect me to read your garbage if you are!

Maybe I’m old-school, but if you want to make a point in writing, write it so it’s readable. Sure we’re not all wordsmiths, and sure we’re not all perfect, and sure there will be mistakes, but a mistake here or there (not their) is tolerable; a 1,500 word rambling single paragraph that’s screams of illiteracy is not. It is a waste of my time, and most likely a waste of your time as well, because if you want to make a point with me, and I’d like to think most others as well, please, PLEASE, make it worth reading.

Hal

No comments:

Post a Comment